Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Migi Nail Art Pens Swatches and Review

Freehanding nail art is something that I have always enjoyed doing, but have usually had a hard time with without proper tools (special pens, Konad stamping set, stencils, etc.) I always just did hearts and flowers and dots by dotting with the polish brush of the color I was using! And mayber sometimes with a toothpick. I now know it can be much simpler. One way to accomplish this is with Migi Nail Art Pens.


Here are the 4 colors I have for review. An olivey green with gold shimmer, a gold glitter, a pink creme and a white creme.

These pens have a two way cap. So one end opens just like a polish bottle and has a brush to paint with:


But if you pull the upper part of the cap you find a fine point to draw nail art with while you squeeze the pen:

Very fine point. It's like a needle

Here are all the colors painted with the brush end. Very smooth and even and have good coverage.

Here are some simple designs I did with them: A daisy which I did by painting dots far from the center and then pulling them in, flowers made up of dots, a snowflake, and little hearts made by making the top with two dots and then pulling them down to a point. These pens are wonderful for doing all these and more but I really love them for doing polka dots.


They also work well to do a french manicure since you can freehand the line with the fine end and then paint the rest of the tip with the brush. I also like it because you can draw the ends of the tip real close to the edges very finely. Also, although I don't have a pic ,they work well for halfmoon manicures as well.

Pros: Versatile. Fine point allows for intricate designs, small dots and lines, french manicures, letters and numbers. (I used these for my 30ROCK manicure) Migi gives free refills (2 per order) when you pay for shipping.

Cons: Glitter gets stuck in the fine tip. (Only the glitter pen) I played with the gold glitter and got it to work before I did my swatches for the review, but by the time it came time to do swatches and pics I couldn't get it to come out anymore. Also they can become pressurized and polish will continuously flow out of the tip on its own without squeezing the pen. This however, is easily fixable by unscrewing the brush and screwing it back on while slightly squeezing the pen.
Here is a little sunburst I did on a paper plate with the gold glitter before it stopped working for me:
The colors for these pens are sold in sets. There are 5 different collections of colors. Each retails for $24.99. That means you end up paying about $3.12 per color. Each color has 0.16 fluid ounce of product, so that breaks down to $19.50/ounce. It sounds pricey that way, but really it would be like paying $9.75 for a regular 0.5 oz. bottle of polish which isn't that far off from what a lot of us spend! Plus the flexibility for doing designs more than makes up for it.
Here are the sets:
Gold Collection - 8 shimmers - This has the green I have swatched


Silver Collection - 8 bold cremes - I believe this is the set with the white I have swatched


Bronze Collection - Described as the "french" set - This set has mostly shimmers, but also the gold glitter I have swatched


Black Collection - Pastel cremes and shimmers


White Collection - Neon cremes and shimmers

Thanks for checking out my review! You can purchase these nail art pens at MigiNailArt.com
Each set retails for $24.99, or you can get all 5 for $99.99.

Disclosure: The products featured in this post were furnished to me by the manufacturer or PR company for review. For more information please visit my disclosure policy.

12 comments:

  1. I recently watched a make-up guru demo these Migi Nail Art Pens on YT. Of course I had to have them- they're right up my alley! So, I get to the website, prepared to buy, only to find out that I have to buy pre-arranged collections. I don't mind having to purchae a set of 8 pens. What I don't like is the pre-arrangement. I know I'd use 3 from the Gold col, 5 from the silver col, 3 from the black col and 5 from the white col. That's 16 pens (equal to 2 sets) that I would have purchased had choosing your own set been an option.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You did such a great job with this review and your wonderful pictures- I'm supose to get some for review also and now I know what to expect. I have some nails art polishes like these and I love them, so I can't wait to try these ones too :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey guys, this is Migi Nail Art. Just wanted to reply to ainos2. The packs ARE pre-made. However, the refill program allows ou to order any colors you like. Though you have to order in separate orders of two. you can get and color combos you want and place as many orders for 2 colors as you like. You can build a collection of just the colors that suit you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just used my first Migi pen in black for a half Moon manicure. After seeing your swatches, I'm going to try using the regular polish brush included to create a base color for nail design. Nicely done!

    ReplyDelete
  5. These are snazzy! I will have to track these down. They would be great for Duck Day manicures!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have been wanting these!! I am going to save up so i can buy all the colors..i am always to nail art but its hard since i don't have the right tools!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks! I will check these out. Your free hand skills are really good. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is really an interesting nail art pen. I like that you can use these to paint your nails. Nice designs you made.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Has anyone used these polishes with nail stamping image plates? I'm considering these if the colors stamp well.

    ReplyDelete
  10. ADOREI O SEU BLOG! PARABENS PELA NAIL ART!

    www.lupapodemulher.com.br
    www.lupapodeblog.com.br

    ReplyDelete