Tuesday, May 26, 2009

NYX "The Ave" Polishes

I recently went to town on NYX and scooped a ton of new polishes! The ones I was most excited for were the ones above: Blue Ave, Pink Ave, Purple Ave, and Peach Ave. The swatches on the NYX website looked like they would be some sort of flake or something interesting and different. These are definately different! I'm not going to say they are the best flakie polishes on the planet or something, but I do like them.
Blue Ave- Shown alone and over black. Blue jelly base with firey green, shiny, random shaped flakes. This is 2 coats.
Pink Ave- Shown alone and over black. Light, light pink base (pretty much clear) with rainbow shiny flakes. This is 3 coats.
Purple Ave- Shown alone and over black. Purple jelly base with purplish-blue shiny flakes. I think these flakes are the most "glowy" of all of these. This is 1 coat.

Peach Ave- Shown alone and over black. Orange jelly base with orange shiny flakes that flash green. These flakes reminded me most of an opal stone. This is the only one that I can see any real color build in the base. This is 2 coats.

So overall these are cool. They are a bit difficult to work with. Not impossible though. If you noticed that all of the swatches have a different number of coats, but that does not mean everytime you use Purple Ave it will be one coat, and everytime you use Pink Ave it's 3 coats. What it means is that it is random. The application is different for every nail, everytime. It just depends on how much flakie you get on the brush before you start. I had passes with nothing, and passes like that lovely ring finger on Purple Ave that had mega-flake in one stroke.

The base color is what they are named after, however, I don't think the base is what is important. It's the flake. So Blue Ave=green flakes, Pink Ave=Rainbow flakes, Purple Ave=Blue flakes, Peach Ave=Orange/green flakes.

The finish look has a bit of roughness, but a coat or two of Seche Vite smoothes that out. Here is my creation of all the Aves layered over my Blue Sky Chameleon from last week:

It was a multi-colored awesome-fest. I had it on for days. I loved it.

Also, on a completely unrelated note, that black polish in the swatches is Tropez-Black Satin, and it was very easy to apply and perfect in one coat. Best thing? It retails for $1.00!! I got it at Kmart if you're interested!

6 comments:

  1. I think I bought all of those. I bought so polishes. I like them layered. Alone, not so much.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have the Purple Ave. Quite like it, really like how you've shown these over black as well, especially how the Blue Ave. looks over it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was really close to buy some of these in my latest order but I changes my mind since it cost my to much. They are cool though!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lucy- I hope you like them! These are def all about layering. I don't like them alone either.

    clockwork- Purple Ave might possibly be my fave. It just glows, ya know?! Blue Ave is cool though too. I love the green shade!

    Alexlyndra- I understand. Sometimes we have to control ourselves!! I know I try. It is hard though!! Especially with that NYX website! They have so many!!
    :c)

    ReplyDelete
  5. these are all really pretty. they do look there best layered over something else. I am glad someone swatched these, as I am soooo not ready to pay $14.00 for Nubars ( yeah, I am frugal )

    ReplyDelete
  6. I bought Blue Ave, and had a dickens of a time getting any of the flakies to come out with the polish. This is my first flaky - any suggestions for optimal application?

    ReplyDelete