Thursday, January 28, 2010

Maybelline - Sunset Prisms

Happy Thursday Everyone! I am back in the city! I had to go a couple hours away to farm county, Illinois for work. But I am back today and it is !@#$% freezing! It was -10 this morning with the windchill! That is wildly unnecessary. Freezing temperatures I can take. Sub-zero arctic blast... that is a bit excessive.

Today's NOTD is a shade I picked up at a drugstore downstate yesterday. Yes I am that much of an addict I had to hunt for polish on a work trip! It is Maybelline - Sunset Prisms. At least that is what the bottle says. I don't believe it.

See, I have seen Sunset Prisms dozens of times. It is part of the core Maybelline display in drugstores and Ulta. Have you seen it? I look at it a lot and contemplate buying it but always decide against it because it looks just like one of my favorite colors: Color Club - Tangerine Scream. It's a bright orange with a green flashy, shimmer. Why intentionally buy a dupe? Well, this time I bought it. Because it is not an orange with a green flash. It is a bright pink with a very strong gold flash. Not the same. But the label still says "Sunset Prisms". I was baffled. I had to buy this oddity. There were even other bottles behind this odd bottle that were the "real" Sunset Prisms, and had the same label. So I thought this guy I bought must be from an off batch, or is really old before a color change, or it's a new color change, or it has the wrong label. I didn't know, but I liked it! But when I searched for swatches, all the swatches are of the pink with gold shimmer. So maybe all the bottles of orange with green shimmer are the weirdos! Now I have to go buy it too, don't I? Crap. Fine Maybelline, you win. I will buy the other Sunset Prisms and do a comparison for everyone. Happy?

In any rate, this version of Sunset Prisms is very pretty. I did three coats, it is very flashy and shimmery; even in low lights. I am very happy with it! It looks like a cousin to the Zoya - Reverie Collection.

When I get my hands on the other version I'll show them to you side by side.

Have a great day!
-Elaine

7 comments:

  1. Funny how the names are the same but the colors aren't! I like this color, it makes me wish summer was already here!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I almost bought this today! They had one bottle left in Walmart. Looks pretty on you though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It really does look like a sunset on your nails.

    (msred from mua)

    ReplyDelete
  4. like you, i dont mind freezing temps- i just can stand this artic chill we're experiencing. how do people in canada and alaska deal with this?

    the color looks nice by the way.

    ReplyDelete
  5. gildedangel - Thank you!

    Michele - Ugh! I hate that so much. If the color is different, PLEASE give it a new name! It is really summery!

    Mighty Lambchop - Thank you!

    L - Thank you! Go back for it! :c)

    BarcelonaChair AKA Msred - Hey girl! Thanks for stopping by! Thank you! I was thinking so too!

    augusta - I can't even image what it is like up there. I think I have it bad in Chicago (which I kind of do. I used to live it upstate NY and it gets waaaay colder here!) but what do they do even further north!? I had on 2 pairs of pants, socks and gloves today and I was still frozen!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have the Maybelline Sunset Prisms. But the one that I have is the orange base with the strong lime green shimmer. This one looks great on you, but I can tell that the font on the bottle label is one of the older ones -- my bottle is one of the newer ones. Anyway, love on you.

    ReplyDelete