Thursday, November 19, 2009

Essie Starry Starry Night? Is that you?


NO! But it looks like it! This is Naturistics - Crystal Blue Pearl and it is supposed to be a dead dupe for Essie - Starry Starry Night which I have come to terms with not ever owning. It was very exciting to learn that there was a look-alike to SSN available, but the excitement soon faded when I learned Crystal Blue Pearl is also a hard to find shade. Well, the polish gods smiled on me and sent me an angel. Liz of Iceomatic's Nails kindly gifted this to me. How sweet!! I still can't believe it.
And of course, I had to see it matte.
You may recall a while back I did a post about a franken for Essie - Starry Starry Night and I thought I did a pretty good job on it.


This was the photo of my franken, Evening Twinkler, which consisted of half Wet and Wild - Nocturnal and half LA Colors - Silver Glitter. Now that I had almost the real SSN in my hands, I can see that I was a bit off in the shade of the polish. Crystal Blue Pearl, or SSN, is not as cobalt blue looking as my swatch. It's more of a cool, dark denim color. Almost pulling purple. So I added some purple! I dropped in some Zoya- Pinta and I made Evening Twinkler 2.0:


You can see the shade is now pretty much exact. The only thing it needs now is a bit more glitter and it is perfect. So if you tried it before and want to get closer, throw in some purple!

Have a great day!
-Elaine

13 comments:

  1. beautiful!!! aww essie does lovely cremes but they knock one outta the park w/ starry starry night and then deny the masses the wonderful privilege? despicable haha. and the only closest dupe is also a HTF? geeez man, my heart can't take this abuse! haha, your franken looks amazing :) i will totally have to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the frankens! I already have Nocturnal, I might go pick up that glitter and make my own!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the 2.0! You could just add a little more glitter as you said.
    DanaCerise

    ReplyDelete
  4. ahhh! SSN is my ultimate lemming. I've heard about naturistics crystal blue pearl but can't seem to find that anywhere either. Sigh.. Why can't essie just bring back SSN?! don't they realize how much everyone loves it?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yeah, I was bummed out too, when I found that Naturistic is also HTF. That sucks! Why do we have 1245 same shades of red, but noone can figure out SSN. BTW, you did a great job with that franken. It looks just like CBP.

    ReplyDelete
  6. creepy! ryan got me SSN as a present (idw ask what he spent on it) and I JUST got it today and immediatly put it on! your second franken is very very close to what I am looking at on my nails. I think I am going to get the thing to franken it in case something ever happens to my SSN. thank you for figuring out the franken! congrats on such awesomeness!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice job on the franken, I'm going to have to try it. The only thing I think SSN does differently is...well I don't have it, so I'm guessing here, but the pics seem to show a variety of different sized glitter. from tiny tiny to normal sized...which gives it that far away stars look. You certainly captured the shade though. Going to do what I can to franken it too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. So pretty but I have to admit that I love your franken the best. It is stunning.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yippee!! :) I'm so glad you like it. I used your recipe for evening twinkler and love it too. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  10. It figures that even an exact dupe is hard to find. This is ridiculous! Your franken turned out amazing. You should be really proud of yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Laine I love your frankens, and I love Crystal Blue Pearl, I have only heard of the fabled SSN, I have not seen swatches. But all the dupes are making me want it. Your nails are lovely :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. kelliegonzo - This is madness! Give us what we want! And that is SSN!!!bah. Try out the franken recipe... it may help the pains!

    gildedangel - You should! Its reallly easy!

    DanaCerise - Thank you! It's pretty close!

    Suji - You know, they did realize that everyone loved it, brought it back, jacked up the price, and it's still hard to find? I am so baffled.

    nihrida - Thanks girl! I know it... there isn't anything that is close that can be easily found! It's so lame.

    Ange-Marie - WoW! congrats on finding the real thing!

    ThinWomanTryingToGetOut - (GREAT NAME BTW!) Thank you! If the glitter is different sizes I definitely missed the mark on that. But if you can find different sizes of silver glitter, than do it up!

    Mighty Lambchop - Are you sure mine wins?!! WOW!!! That is one big compliment! Thank you!

    Liz - You are the S*IT!!! AND OF course that is a good thing! Thank you again!

    Danica - I feel ya. Some things people go crazy over, and it's just not for everyone. Like Sally Hansen - Opulent Cloud. I can't figure out the big deal with that one..

    Lucy - It is ridiculous! And thank you!

    beautyjudy - Thank you girl! If you want it just try out my recipe! It may make you feel better!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow .. awesome job!! I wouldn't have known the difference. I have to try this. :)

    ReplyDelete