Friday, November 27, 2009

Gargantuan Green Grape Matte: How Does it Compare to the Original?

Hello all! When OPI released their Matte collection my emotions were all over the place. It was one of the first matte collections we got during the summer, when all the matte collex were coming out, so I was excited. Then I saw they were re-releases of past colors, so I was sad. Then I saw swatches and I was confused. These didn't even look like the originals! The one that I was most befuddled by was Gargantuan Green Grape. This was one of my first ever OPI polishes when my addiction to polish first started forming years ago. It was very odd and unique in my collection; precisely why I bought it. It is a very yellow, light green with a jelly-ish finish that I just adore. When I saw the first swatch of GGG Matte, I could tell this was nothing like the original. I needed to see them swatched side by side. Michelle of ALU did some nice comparisons of the entire collection against their originals, but she didn't have the original GGG. Well I got the matte version for myself so I could finally see it and get it out of my system!

Well looky, looky! I was right. They are totally not the same shade. And the matte GGG doesn't even look like anything you'd want to wear anyway, even if it is a nice green. The finish is just too lumpy. It is very hard to apply this one smoothly. It is way too thick and chalky. Perhaps I will try it with a matte topcoat. *sigh*

9 comments:

  1. I hate original! I did not know where are to polishes with the same name, i was sure that where is only one GGG and it is mate, i was so super disappointed when i got it from e-bay - i was hoping for matte but end up with original, that is totally no wearable :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're right, the original looks much nicer! The matte just looks odd...

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow, they are so different!! I have the original and love it... was interested in the matte but this looks so much darker and more olive. Thanks for the comparison!

    ReplyDelete
  4. They look really different! I love the matte one better!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like the original so much better than the matte - I love how yellow-toned it is

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, the matte one isn't even close to the original shade, that is really disappointing. Plus the matte one looks quite clumpy.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Evil Angel - Me too!

    Liza - Exactly why they should have released these with different names! I am sorry. It is too confusing!

    Anonymous - It does look odd

    Brooke - You are welcome! I love the original too!

    gildedangel - I'm glad you like it! I like the shade, but the finish is not great.

    keerthamina - Same here!

    clockwork - I know! The finish is lumpy and it is sooo not the same

    ReplyDelete
  8. The matte looks more like green witch village the Guarana green grape.

    ReplyDelete